Tuesday, July 9, 2013

5 Reasons Why: It's ok to like John Mayer


I've never been very vocal about my fascination with John Mayer, mainly because a lot of people don't like him. I don't understand why though. My first concert was John Mayer at the Hollywood Bowl front row and that experience changed my life. John's music was the soundtrack for my tween years. It's completely OK to like John Mayer and here's five reasons why...


1) John Mayer is talented
When I sat there front row at my first concert I realized one thing. It was that I was in front of a legend. John made these intense guitar solo faces and he plucked the guitar like it was his second nature, feeling every note as if it were a part of his body. He may shoot out a few unlikable pop hits (Your Body's a Wonderland, etc. etc.) but he, much like Eric Clapton, hides his blues and soul behind catchy riffs. Mark my words when I say John will go down next to Clapton, Hendrix, and Page. 


2) John Mayer is funny

I have this vivid memory of being at that concert and John cracking jokes between every song or even in the middle of a song. He isn't some adult contemporary artist who makes an album a year, he's actually like a cool guy. Don't believe me? Watch him with Kanye here or on how he writes a song here


3) John Mayer's music is good
You're just lying to yourself if you don't like 'Waiting on the World to Change' or 'Neon'. They're generally catchy, fun, and audibly sweet to the ear. I know it's viewed as "lame" or "mainstream" to like pop music, but pop music is also the best kind of music! Michael Jackson was pop, The Beach Boys were pop, even The Beatles were pop. John Mayer's music is delightful and nothing should stop you from listening. 



4) John Mayer is a lyrical genius

It's one thing to have catchy riffs, easy going chorus', and a nice sound, but something about smart lyrics really gets me listening. It's also great when the person singing the song is also the person who wrote it. John saying things like "If fear hasn't killed me yet, then nothing will" and "Just a great figure eight or a tiny infinity". 


5) John Mayer is gorgeous
It was the elephant in the room. John Mayer is a complete and total BABE! He has a "bad boy reputation" with kissing and telling. He was once the male version of Taylor Swift (which I find ironic since the two dated and then Taylor wrote a song about him) but after buying a ranch in Montana and growing out his hair (thank God he cut it!) he's been pretty steady on dating Katy Perry. There is no denying his good looks, his charm and his wit. I LOVE JOHN MAYER AND I'M NOT ASHAMED! 



Xxx,
Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment