Thursday, May 30, 2013

British Invastion: 6 Must-See British TV shows

Here are a few groovy British TV shows I though you folks would dig because that's my jam! (I underlined all of the 'dad' vocabulary in that last sentence)


Garth Marenghi's Darkplace:

I have just recently discovered this show but the quick witted deadpan humor of Darkplace is pretty much better than The Office. There. I said it! I've always loved everything Richard Ayoade has done, he's a demi-god in his own right. The plot is simply a 1980s low-budget hospital drama that never aired in time. Trust me when I say your stomach will ache from chuckles.










Little Britain:

Another goofy one but completely worth watching. Little Britain could teach SNL a few lessons on proper sketch comedy. The show is entirely based on making fun of British characters from every corner of the UK. A flamboyant gay man, A "mentally ill" fellow in a wheelchair, and an incoherent teenage girl all reoccur within each episode when you least expect it. Though repetitive, you will never get tired of Little Britain!












Downton Abbey:

I'm actually so emotionally entwined into this show that's it's hard for me to talk about it. The first two episodes are relatively dull but my oh my does episode three deliver after so much hype. I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN IT! Its basically about how the heir to the Downton estate dies on the Titanic and the Crawley family struggle to find a new heir or loose it all. Sincerely watch this show with respect for it is my heart and soul.






Fawlty Towers:

A good classic show with the majestic comic god himself John Cleese! A hotel in the countryside of England is run by a husband and wife team who never can seem to get along. They try to cope with crazy guests and a Spanish bellhop who does not speak English. But at the end of the day they appear to love each other, even when Basil cannot control his temper.










The Young Ones:

The 1980s were a glorious time and I can't think of a better example of that than The Young Ones. Four very young and very different British men try to live together in harmony. Vyvyan the punk, Rick the mod not-so-rebellious anarchist, Neil the hippie who is always sick, and the peacemaker virgin Mike. Together they try to share a flat and live as normal University students. Probably the best part of it all is that every episode featured a live band. I have every episode on DVD...








Mr. Bean:

The first time I saw Mr. Bean was when I was in a hotel room in London. It seemed to be the only thing interesting on and from that day on I was hooked to Bean. How could one man make me laugh as hard as I did without saying a word. Maybe it was his face or his denial for confrontation but every episode brought another shenanigan. Long live Mr. Bean, His best pal/stuffed bear Teddy, and His Mr. T bedsheets. I also have every episode of this on DVD.







Xxx,
Kit






No comments:

Post a Comment